The church is lucky to have a growing choir of committed adults who sing the main Sunday Eucharist every week along with major festivals and services throughout the year.
In addition to these services at St John's, the choir also sing as visitors elsewhere. In July 2016 the choir sang evensong at Bromley and Shepherds Colleges, in October 2016 they participated in a gala charity concert in St Luke's Church in Downham. The choir have enjoyed actively learning new repertoire and genres of music over the past year or so. Highlights have included performing UK and world premieres of various compositions by local and international composers. There are now plans for both domestic and foreign choir tours to showcase their work in providing music for the worship of the entire community. Dates are currently being arranged at Buckfast Abbey and Southwark Cathedral. The choir rehearse weekly on Friday evenings. If you would like to apply for an audition to join the choir please contact the Director of Music.
In October 2016, in collaboration with the adjoining church's school, St John's Church launched a chorister scheme. The choristers' first service was in November 2016 and at this Eucharist the Rector commissioned 23 new choristers. Since then, more choristers have joined the ranks (all taken from years 4, 5, and 6 at the school). In addition to their various weekly rehearsals and monthly services, the choristers are also making arrangements to join forces with other local churches and youth choirs as well as organising a tour. In February 2017 they sang at the formal opening of the new Harvey Media Suite in St John's School.
The youth band is a vital part of our parish music department. They started a number of years ago as a means of opening up the ministry of music to younger members of the parish community and are now a hugely appreciated part of this ministry.
The band provides music mainly for the monthly family service, and rehearses in the run up to this each month. The band is run by Stuart and Miriam Hodgson and if you would like to ask advice about joining the band please email them at [email protected].
The organ at St John's is a classic example of the late 19th century. The organ was built in 1878 by Alfred Hunter and then rebuilt by Mander in 1948. The instrument was originally from the church of All Saints, South Lambeth and was installed in St John's by Martin Cross Organ Builders in 1982. Cross also built a new oak-panelled drawstop console in the North Transept with EP action throughout. The Swell and Great Mixtures were also revised and a new organ blower was fitted. The organ is now maintained by Harrison and Harrison Organ Builders of Durham.
Copyright | St John the Baptist Church, Catford 2016